Skip to main content

Former Wajir West Parliamentary Contender Mohamed Yussuf Elmi Joins Wajir in Marking 42 Years Since Wagalla, Survivors Renew Call for Justice

 

By Ahmed Salat Ali Aaran Tv Ke

 
WAJIR — Hundreds of survivors and relatives of victims of the 1984 Wagalla massacre marched through Wajir town on Friday to mark the 42nd anniversary of one of Kenya’s darkest chapters, renewing demands for justice, compensation and full implementation of past reform recommendations.


Carrying placards reading “We Want Justice,” “Justice Delayed is Justice Denied,” and “Compensate Victims Now,” the demonstrators walked solemnly through the town centre before converging at Orahey grounds for prayers and speeches.


The commemoration brought together survivors, local leaders, activists and professionals, among them Professor Mohamed Yussuf Elmi — former Wajir West parliamentary contender, UDA deputy governor slot candidate and pioneer of Nuria College — who joined residents in honouring the victims and calling for renewed political goodwill to address the long-standing grievances.

Painful Memories Resurface

Speakers at the ceremony recounted the events of February 10–14, 1984, when thousands of Degodia clan men were rounded up by security forces and taken to Wagalla Airstrip in Wajir County. Survivors say detainees were held for days without food or water under the scorching sun. Many were allegedly tortured, shot or died from the harsh conditions.


While the exact number of those killed remains disputed, survivors insist the death toll ran into the thousands. The atrocity has previously been described by rights groups as among the gravest human rights violations in Kenya’s history.
Many elderly survivors wiped away tears as they shared memories of lost fathers, brothers and sons.
“We are still waiting for justice and recognition,” one survivor told journalists. “Our wounds are not only physical but emotional. They have never truly healed.”
Women who endured the ordeal spoke openly about the trauma that followed, including the disappearance of male relatives and the enduring economic hardship faced by widows and orphaned children.

Renewed Calls for Implementation of TJRC Report

Speakers urged the government to fully implement the recommendations of the Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission (TJRC), which documented the massacre and called for reparations, accountability and institutional reforms.

Advocates noted that despite official acknowledgements and past apologies, a comprehensive compensation framework has yet to be finalised.

“We cannot speak of reconciliation without justice,” Professor Mohamed Yussuf Elmi said during the gathering. “The survivors deserve closure, structured compensation and a transparent process that restores dignity to affected families.”

In an impassioned address, Prof. Elmi added: “Wagalla is not just a historical event; it is a living wound in the hearts of our people. Justice delayed for 42 years is justice denied. We must move beyond promises and establish a clear, time-bound framework for compensation and restorative justice.”

He further called for unity among leaders from North Eastern, saying: “This is not a partisan issue. It is a moral issue. Leaders must speak with one voice and tie their political support to the resolution of the Wagalla question. Our community deserves acknowledgment, reparations and institutional guarantees that such injustice will never happen again.”

Ramadhan Jellow, author of Blood on the Runway — a book chronicling the massacre and whose father died during the operation — challenged leaders to demonstrate political will.

“Forty-two years is too long,” Jellow said. “Leadership must rise above politics and ensure this issue is addressed decisively.”

Leaders Pledge Legislative Action

Wagalla -Ganyurey MCA Hussein Ibrahim, popularly known as Bodaa, called on President William Ruto to consider the plight of Wagalla victims and prioritise compensation efforts.

“We stand with the survivors,” he said. “I am ready to introduce a Bill to support and fast-track the compensation process.”

He also pledged to work with the Wagalla Massacre Foundation to document testimonies, warning that critical evidence risks being lost as survivors grow older.

“Time is not on our side,” he added. “We must document these accounts before they fade with the passing generation.”

Wagberi MCA Aden Blue echoed the call for legislative support, saying leaders from the region must unite to push for justice and economic assistance to affected families.

Human Rights Officials Weigh In

Also present were officials from the Kenya Human Rights Commission, who acknowledged the urgent need for justice and reaffirmed their commitment to supporting the affected community. 

They said that since the inception of the commission, they have worked closely with survivors through the Wagalla Massacre Foundation and remain ready to assist in pursuing legal and institutional remedies.

The officials challenged the community to seek justice collectively, citing examples of communities in West Pokot that have organised and pursued accountability through sustained legal and civic action.

“Justice requires unity and persistence,” one official said. “When communities stand together with clear documentation and coordinated advocacy, meaningful progress becomes possible.”

Moment of Silence

The anniversary concluded with a collective prayer and a minute of silence in memory of those who lost their lives and those who continue to live with the scars of the tragedy.

As Wajir marked 42 years since the massacre, the message from survivors was clear: remembrance alone is not enough. They want truth acknowledged, justice delivered and meaningful compensation provided — before history claims more of those who lived through it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hassan Mohamud Clan Endorses Prof. Mohamed Yussuf Elmi “Nyanurey” for Wajir West MP Race

By Ahmed Salat Ali | Political Affairs Reporter, AARAN TV KE  With less than two years remaining before the 2027 General Election, political temperatures in Wajir West are steadily rising following the official endorsement of Prof. Mohamed Yussuf Elmi, popularly known as “Nyanyuray,” by the influential Hassan Mohamud sub-clan of the larger Rerow Mohamud community. The highly attended endorsement ceremony, marked by pomp, colour and jubilation, brought together respected elders, religious leaders, women, youth groups and community stakeholders from across the region. The gathering followed months of consultations, family retreats and extensive deliberations within the community before unanimously settling on Prof. Elmi as their preferred candidate for the Wajir West parliamentary seat in 2027. Speakers at the event described Prof. Elmi as a seasoned leader with vast experience, strong academic credentials and a deep understanding of the region’s development challenges. “The communit...

Road Projects Signal New Dawn for Wajir as Shs.30 Billion Infrastructure Plan Takes Shape

By Ahmed Salat Ali | AARAN TV KE Political Affairs  WAJIR- A sweeping infrastructure plan targeting key road networks across Wajir County is poised to transform the region’s economic landscape, raising fresh hopes of long-awaited development in one of Kenya’s historically marginalized counties. Documents from the Ministry of Roads and Transport and road agencies outline a series of proposed and priority road upgrades aimed at improving connectivity within Wajir and linking the county to major transport corridors. The plan comes as preparations intensify for the national Madaraka Day celebrations scheduled to be hosted in Wajir in 2026. According to an official communication from the State Department of Roads, the government has directed key implementing agencies — including the Kenya National Highways Authority, Kenya Urban Roads Authority, Kenya Rural Roads Authority, and the Kenya Roads Board — to fast-track several projects considered critical to the county’s infrastructure gro...

North Eastern Regional Commissioner Highlights Development Milestones, Drought Response in Wajir

 By Ahmed Salat Ali Aaran Tv Ke  Wajir – John Otieno, the North Eastern Regional Commissioner, has reaffirmed the Government’s commitment to accelerating development across the region following the conclusion of a regional workshop aimed at strengthening service delivery at the grassroots. Speaking during a media briefing after the training session for government officers, the Regional Commissioner described the workshop as a critical step in equipping public servants with the skills and coordination needed to effectively implement national projects. “This training marks a new beginning for our officers. It is designed to ensure that government development programmes reach the grassroots efficiently and deliver tangible results to wananchi,” he said. Affordable Housing Gains Momentum Commissioner Otieno revealed that the Affordable Housing Programme in Wajir County has reached 55 per cent completion, expressing satisfaction with the pace of work. “We are pleased with the progr...